Friday, March 28, 2008

Spring Break

We had a jam packed week of fun, which started off with a teeny tiny scare. Emma and I planned to leave for Greenville, SC the Thursday before Spring Break. (Daddy sat this trip out. Something about work and having to earn a living!) When we arrived at preschool that morning the teacher was there to greet us and inform us that one of the kids in the class had tested positive for the flu. She then went on to say that I especially needed to be cautious because Emma shared her pink chapstick with the little girl the day her symptoms started. GREAT! Just what we need is the flu during a week long trip out of town. I went home and called the pediatrician to ask for a Rx just in case we needed it while we were out of town. Then before we could even get out of town Emma started to run a low grade fever. I called everyone we were scheduled to visit with, 4 families in all, to tell them what was going on. I decided that even though the car was packed, we were going to have to go back home. Luckily, it turned out to be nothing. Apparently Emma was just overheated because her mommy overdressed her for a warm spring day.

So, off we went on Friday morning. Lots of traffic delays later (gotta love Atlanta) we met up with some of my online mommy friends at a Chick-fil-A just north of Atlanta. After a short meal and a visit with them we headed to the humble abode of Mia and her crew. Emma was elated to see her cousins, as was I to see my "girl cousin" (inside joke). The next day I had Emma and Karis by myself while Mia and Annika were at a Girl Scouts event. I decided to brave it and take two 4 year olds to see Horton Hears a Who. Approx $38 (tickets and food) and 30 minutes later Karis was overcome with fear during a falling bridge scene. We left. Later that evening was Annika's 7th birthday party - complete with a sleep over of 8 little girls. JOY! Emma and I called it a night around midnight. The little girls didn't give it up so easily. They kept getting louder, and louder, and louder. After my many attempts to settle them down myself, I reluctantly went to wake Mia up. They ultimately fell asleep around 3 a.m. once Mia made a pallet in the room with them.

I got up the next morning and headed solo to Raleigh, NC to finally meet my dear friend Susan. She's one of the moms I met in my online mommy group. This was our first real life meet-up! I had a great time with her. We drove around looking at real estate, including an open house of a 1.5 million dollar house on a golf course, and multiple neighborhoods around Raleigh. After that we went on a girls' night out to see 27 Dresses. Great movie. I highly recommend it for your next chick flick night. The next day we drove around Raleigh some more. I also got a call from Mia telling me that my dear sweet child vomited all over the table at Schlotzky's deli. LOVELY! (She was fine after that.) The next night we went to mom's night out (yes this is different than girl's night out) with Susan's friends. There I also got to meet another mom, Adra, from our online group. She was just as cute and sweet as I'd imagined her to be.

I headed back to Mia's the next morning. The rest of the visit included Easter Egg hunts, a lovey-related Emma meltdown followed by a mommy meltdown, a 39th birthday party for Mia at Joe's Crab Shack (love this place), and various other activities. Then seven days after our trip began, Emma and I headed back home.

Here's a few pictures from our little Spring Break adventure.

Our online friends Kaydee, Owen and Riley.
slumber party
Susan's daughter and I
Me & Susan (boy, do I feel short next to her)
photo by Emma
(Emma became obsessed with this guitar at Mia's church)

The girls watching tv

Emma listening to her "singer" aka FP3 player.

No comments: